Can I just tell you that these margarita cupcakes were a HIT at our picnic .. Seriously!!!
And just a little secret...
they were not hard to make!
Cupcakes:1 box white cake mix8 oz margarita mix (liquid)2 oz tequila1 oz Grand Marnier3 egg whites2 Tbsp vegetable oil1 Tbsp grated lime zest
Lime Butter cream Icing:8 Tbsp butter, softened8 oz cream cheese, softened2 Tbsp lime juice (approx 2 fresh limes)1 Tbsp margarita mix1 tsp lime zest5 cups powdered (confectioners’) sugarcane sugar & fresh limes (for garnish)*****
1. Preheat oven to 350º and prepare muffin pans.
2. Combine margarita mix, tequila, and Grand Marnier in a large glass and stir well.
3. In large bowl, combine cake mix, egg whites, lime zest, vegetable oil, and margarita mixture from step one. Stir ingredients together, then beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for approximately 2-3 minutes.
4. Spoon the batter into prepared muffin pans. Fill each cup/liner about 2/3 full.
5. Bake at recommended temperature on cake mix box (usually 325º – 350º) for 20 – 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
Icing:6. In a large bowl, combine butter, cream cheese, lime juice, margarita mix, and lime zest. Beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
7. Add powdered sugar, one cup at a time, and continue beating until smooth. If icing is too thin, add more powdered sugar, a couple tablespoons at a time.
8. Spread icing generously on each cooled cupcake* or use a pastry bag to frost. Sprinkle cane sugar around the edges of the cupcake for a “salt rimmed” look and garnish with lime wheels & wedges.
*Make sure to remove cupcakes from pan and cool completely before frosting.
Tip: Leftover frosting makes a great dip for fruit or bagle spread!